Monday, April 18, 2011

Unforgettable trip to Utah!

Finally, after a month of working on this.... Here is our story of this amazing trip!
We flew late Friday night March 25th and arrived in Salt Lake at almost midnight. My brother Joseph picked us up and took us to his home where we stayed there with his family for a few nights. Here's Johnny and I the next morning after our late-night flight!


Family Reunion in Sandy
There was a reunion gathering on Saturday afternoon and evening with almost all of my family (we missed Kristen, Kimball, McKay, and Eliza, but we were going to be seeing them on Sunday.) Thanks, Joseph and Martha, for opening up your home for us all!


Here is my brother Matthew and his wife Tamara. It was so great to have them come by, as they've had quite a tax season- working 60 hour work weeks. I love these two!

A simple soccer game in cousin Maggie's backyard, and James loved it!



The two youngest watched the soccer game from the window. Here's Johnny (left) and Jack (right).


My brother Jacob and niece Maggie sitting next to my Grandma Baumgarten. Maggie is the most articulate 5 and 1/2 year old I have ever known! I love her! While we were in Utah visiting, she had at least 2 different birthday parties she attended. That girl is popular! Jacob and I went to the Jordan River Temple for an endowment session later Saturday night! It was really special. Mom and I had the chance to meet Jacob's friend Kari. And the chance to be in the temple...I needed it. Thanks, Larry, for taking care of the boys for me!



Josh, Johnny, me and Grandma Baumgarten. Grandma was able to attend our little get-together. She's slowly remembering less and less, and she seems to be much more feeble than I've ever seen her. I am glad that I could see her again. I became emotional at moments with her and Josh...
Josh and Grandma.



Here are the kids and Amanda chillin' on the couch after the soccer game and outside games.


My mother and her sister Julie. My aunts Julie and Susie were like my second moms/sisters when I was living out in Utah attending BYU. I have so many great memories of weekends I spent with them and trips we took to Kanab. It was great to see them as well.


My Aunt Susie (my mom's youngest sister) in a tender moment with her dog, Doodle. Susie took me out to get my hair colored and cut. I love her like a sister!




My family outside Joseph's home. Josh, me, Amanda, Dad, Joseph in the front row. Jacob, Mom, and Matt in the back row. Aunt Julie took this photo with Joseph's camera. I love my family, and I'm so glad that we were able to be together, again, here!


Sunday morning, we went to church with Joseph and Martha and their family. Larry and Joseph had the baby boys. I had the chance to go with Martha to primary and learn primary songs. Martha is a great primary song leader!

We left Sandy and headed out to Vernal Sunday afternoon.


Here is James standing in front of a plowed drift at a gas station in Parley's Canyon. We got to see Para-skiiing at Daniel's Summit, which Larry took video footage. Tons of snow everywhere!





Vernal
We arrived Sunday afternoon. It was so great to see Josh, Kristen, the boys, and Eliza. James quickly felt at home with Kimball, McKay, and Benson. James loved the trampoline and spent lots of time outside with his cousins!


We had the chance to go with Josh and Kristen to the Dinosaur Museum in town. The best part was the interactive room where the kids could explore the different aspects of hunting for dinosaurs. Here are some of us in front of one of the discovered fossils from the Vernal area.

Kristen and I with our little ones watching the baby chicks.

Our "May" babies. Johnathan and Eliza were so cute and they have a lot of similarities...especially the smile in their eyes!!


James and Benson, McKay, and Kimball together during Family Home Evening. That was one of the highlights for Larry and I. We just loved singing with the boys and Josh and Kristen. The lesson Kristen taught about showing respect was so inspired. We loved it, and the boys loved it, too. Especially role-playing! Thanks for helping us feel the Spirit in your FHE, Josh and Kristen!




On one of those special days, I had the chance to spend time with my brother Josh. He and I drove to Salt Lake for his treatment. Josh shared a lot about what he's gone through in his fight with cancer and how he's grown closer to the Lord and his family this past year. He shared his testimony with me. All I can say from the time I spent with him was that I grew to appreciate Josh more than I ever had before. It's really amazing to spend time with family members after growing up because suddenly the petty things don't matter...all that really matters is love for each other and making the most of the time we have together.



Sadly our time in Vernal came to an end. The days were packed with fun with the kids and the nights were great with movies, laughter, the pooter :), crazy stories, and tasty treats and food! Kristen is an amazing cook, by the way! We love you, Josh, Kristen, boys, and Eliza! It was unforgettable!



Back in Provo



The kids and I in front of the house where I lived when I was born.



Salt Lake City and Sandy again

Larry's Grandma Fox and Johnathan. We had the chance to visit her when we returned to the Salt Lake area. In addition to Grandma Fox, we also got to see Larry's Uncle Jeff and Aunt Cyd. James got to ride in Jeff's Fire Truck (SUV-version). It had lights and sirens, too! He loved it!







Our trip concluded with a visit to Temple Square in downtown Salt Lake City. Joseph and Martha were took us all along with Maggie, Janie, & Jack. Julie and Susie joined in the fun. The kids had a blast running and playing on the grounds and Joseph took so many amazing photos of all of us. Wow! We are so indebted to both he and Martha for putting us up and loaning us their car. We truly love them.


We are so grateful that we were able to come out to Utah. Thank you to all of the family who took time out to see us and help us have such an unforgettable trip!

2 comments:

  1. Good job Mindy! You do a great job blogging! We were so glad you came an miss you so much! Loves and hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I missed this post! Looks and sounds like you had a wonderful time with your family. You guys all rock! I've always loved your family. You guys were one of the many families that I looked up to in the branch!

    I'm glad you got to spend such special moments together with each other while you were there.

    ReplyDelete